Doctor of Philosophy, in progress
University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Science; Ph.D program in Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology. Present – Spring 2021 (Projected)
MASTER OF SCIENCE, Applied Biological Sciences
Arizona State University-Polytechnic, Department of Applied Sciences and Mathematics (Aug. 2009 – May 2011)
- Thesis: Effects of Saltcedar on Population Structure and Habitat Utilization of the Common Side Blotched Lizard
Advisor: Heather L. Bateman
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE, Integrative Biology
Brigham Young University, Department of Biology (January 2005 –April 2008)
RESEARCH AND FIELD EXPERIENCE
- SCIENTIFIC AIDE; California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Bishop (May 2015- February 2016)
- BIOLOGICAL FIELD TECHNICIAN; United States Geological Survey, Yosemite Field Station (June 2011 – Nov. 2011; May 2012 – Oct. 2012; June 2014 – August 2014)
- GRADUATE STUDENT RESEARCH ASSISTANT; Arizona State University-Polytechnic, Department of Applied Sciences and Mathematics (Aug. 2009 – May 2011)
Central Carolina Community College, Department of Math, Science, and Wellness, Lillington, N.C.
- Anatomy and Physiology (lab); Biology 165L; Spring 2013, Fall 2013 & Spring 2014
- Anatomy and Physiology 2 (lab); Biology 166L; Spring 2014
- Introductory Biology for non-majors; Biology 110 (Lecture and Lab); Fall 2013
- Environmental Biology (lecture and lab); Biology 140 & 140A; Spring 2013 & Spring 2014
Campbell University, Department of Biology, Buies Creek, NC.
- Teaching Assistant; General Ecology, Spring 2014
Utah Valley University, Department of Biology, Orem, UT
- Introductory Biology for non-majors (Lecture); Biology 1010; Spring 2012
- Piedmont Wildlife Center, Durham, NC; Wildlife Science day camp for youth
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP
University of Nevada, Reno
- Graduate Student Association Travel Grants – $500 (2017)
Brigham Young University
- ORCA undergraduate research grant – $1,500 (2007)
Scholarships and Awards
- Adjunct Instructor Of the Year Award – 2014; Central Carolina Community College, Department of Math, Science, and Wellness
- Graduate Research Assistantship; Arizona State University-Polytechnic, Department of Applied Sciences and Mathematics
- Graduate Student of the Year Award – Nominee; Arizona State University-Polytechnic, Department of Applied Sciences and Mathematics
- Academic Scholarship; Snow College, Ephraim, UT
- Nielsen, D.P. and H.L. Bateman. 2013. Population metrics and habitat utilization of common side-blotched lizards (Uta stansburiana) in Saltcedar (Tamarix) habitat. The Southwestern Naturalist. 58(1):28-34.
- Bateman, H.L and D.P. Nielsen. 2010. Geographic Distribution Notes: Leptotyphlops humilis. Herpetological Review 41 (4):516-517.
- Nielsen, D.P. and M.D. Matocq. Interspecific diet preference across a small mammal hybrid zone. In prep.
- Nielsen, D.P. and M.D. Matocq. At the edge: Ecological and genetic interactions in a small mammal hybrid system. Ecological Society of America; 6-11 August, 2017; Portland, OR. Oral
- Nielsen, D.P. and M.D. Matocq. Life at the edge: genetic and ecological interaction across a woodrat hybrid zone. 97th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Mammalogists; 20-24 June, 2017; Moscow, ID. Oral
- Nielsen, D.P. and M.D. Matocq. At the Edge: Ecological and Genetic Interactions at Species Range Limits. The Western Section of the Wildlife Society; 6-10 February, 2017; Reno, NV. Poster
- Nielsen, D.P. and H.L. Bateman. Effects of Saltcedar on Abundance and Habitat Utilization of the Side-Blotched Lizard (Uta stansburiana). The 2011 Tamarisk Research Conference; 16-17 February, 2011; Tucson, AZ. Poster
- Nielsen, D.P. and H.L. Bateman. Impacts of Saltcedar (Tamarix spp.) on the Common Side-Blotched Lizard (Uta stansburiana). The Joint Annual Meeting (JAM) for the Arizona/New Mexico chapters of The Wildlife Society; 3-5 February, 2011; Pinetop, AZ. Poster
- Nielsen, D.P. and H.L. Bateman. Lizard Occurrences in Saltcedar vs. Native Riparian Habitat Along the Virgin River. The Joint Annual Meeting (JAM) for the Arizona/New Mexico chapters of The Wildlife Society; 4-6 February, 2010; Flagstaff, AZ. Poster
- Nielsen, D.P., E. Smith-Putnam, and L. Allphin-Woolstenhulme. Genetic Variation Within and Among Populations of Draba asterophora (BRASSICACEAE) In Lake Tahoe. Utah Conference for Undergraduate Research (UCUR); 29 February, 2008; Orem, UT. Poster
- Nielsen, D.P. Best Practices for Adjunct Teaching Strategies. 2013 Fall Adjunct Faculty Development Night. Central Carolina Community College; 15 August, 2013; Sanford, NC.
Analytical and Computing Skills
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Mac OS (Numbers, Pages, Keynote)
- ArcGIS v.10.3
- ERDAS Imagine remote sensing application
- Adobe Photoshop
SERVICE AND PERSONAL INTERESTS
- Spring Breeding Bird Count; 27 April, 2013; Raven Rock State Park, N.C
- Operation In As Much; 13 April, 2013; Campbell University, Buies Creek, N.C.
- Reptile and Amphibian Day; 16 March, 2013 & 15 March, 2014; Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh, N.C.
- Bioblitz 2013; 23-24 August, 2013; Piedmont Wildlife Center, Durham, N.C.